The Institute was opened in 1926. A philanthropic idea put into motion by a group of people from the Parish. They included a smallholder, a landowner, the vicar and a housewife. It provided a meeting place; somewhere to read the papers; regular dances and fetes; and a wide range of activities and uses. It obtained charitable status and has continued since its inception with a range of Trustees to manage its affairs.
The original constitution was complex. To simplify the constitution, in particular in the areas of liability, which affected the recruitment of Trustees, a process was started over four years ago to set it up as a Charitable Incorporated Organisation. A CIO. With the support of Richmond Council for Voluntary Services, Law Works, (an organisation that seeks out pro bono legal work), and Latham and Watkins, Solicitors, London this has finally been achieved.
The CIO is called Thornton Steward Institute Foundation.
Its first meeting is to be on 6th December at 7pm in The Institute.
All welcome! Come along and join us for a drink to celebrate!